TRAVELODGE LAUNCHES WEBSITE RE-VAMP FOR 2004 AND BECOMES UK'S SECOND MOST VISITED TRAVEL SITE
18th Feb 2004
Travelodge, the UK's leading lodge brand, has launched a new website and in recent weeks has rocketed to the second most visited travel website in the UK*. (Lastminute.com holds Number one position) Travelodge is now the UK’s most popular travel search term* and the www.travelodge.co.uk site is the most visited lodge or hotel brand in UK*. The site is hitting levels of 75000 room bookings per week.
The site has been developed by Sense Internet, finalists in the 2003 Information Management Awards, and has been redesigned in line with the new brand and advertising Travelodgic theme. It features up-to-date site locations through an enhanced search facility, a quicker and easier online booking system and ongoing offers and competitions.
Travelodge recently carried out its first online only booking promotion the Fiver Frenzy, which offered 100,000 rooms at £5 at 240 lodges throughout the UK and Ireland. Bookings could only be made online. Within the first week all rooms were sold out and an additional 10,000 rooms had to be added due to consumer demand. 8000 new members joined each week whilst the promotion was running and there was a 282% increase in room bookings compared to same week of the previous year.
Simon Gregory, sales and marketing director for Travelodge, says: “Our website is a fundamental part of our overall marketing strategy. Our plans are to grow our web sales using the same strategy as the low cost airlines, so that we can offer our customers the best prices within the market place all the time. After all, we are already the web’s favourite accommodation provider*.The Fiver Frenzy is the first of many new online initiatives we will be launching this year”.
Travelodge Website key statistics include:
75000 bookings made per week
Web delivering 40% of total bookings
On average 3000 new members joining each week
Total number of members – 110,000
Travelodge has very high bookmark rates – highest daily is 6% - industry average is 2%
Travelodge or Travellodge is the UK’s most popular Travel-Destinations & Accommodation search term
Registered members receive a monthly newsletter, keeping them updated on all current Travelodge news, details on new openings and special promotion offers. They can check their booking details and make bookings quickly as their information is stored.
- ends -
For further information please contact:
Travelodge Press Office at Cohn & Wolfe at 020 7331 5400
Shakila Ahmed Travelodge PR & Communications Manager at 0121 521 6638 or 07802 702 499
Notes to Editors:
· *Source Hitwise.
· Image of Travelodge website attached.
· Travelodge Fiver Frenzy offer ran from 4th to 18th January 2004
· Travelodge currently has over 240 locations throughout the UK and Ireland. These are conveniently located in most major UK cities, on all major motorways and 'A' roads.
· Travelodge offers an online booking service at www.travelodge.co.uk and also via telephone on 08700 850 950.
· Competitively priced, Travelodge room rates start from just £30.00, per room, per night and a family room can sleet 2 adults and 2 children under the age of 16 years old. Prices are per room rather than per person. All rooms are en-suite, with luxury King Size beds and free tea and coffee making facilities.
· Travelodge was the first UK lodge brand to launch in the UK in 1985
· In 2003 Compass Group plc, owners of Travelodge since 2000, sold the company to Permira Investment Fund Managers. Permira has ambitious plans for Travelodge and is confident that it has an exciting future as the UK's leading hotel brand.