ON A BUDGET, ROMEO? - Love Lodge offer for cash-strapped Casanovas
1st Feb 2004
This Valentine’s Day, lovers on a tight budget needn’t skimp on the romance. By staying at a Love-Lodge – a Travelodge in one of the UK and Ireland’s 10 most romantic cities, couples can experience an American Beauty-style petal shower and their very own moonlight serenade! Luckily for him, the budget Romeo can book these treats at no extra charge, leaving him with plenty of spare cash to lavish on his lady.
In a survey conducted by Travelodge*, the UK’s leading lodge brand, Bath was voted the most romantic city, followed closely by Edinburgh and Dublin. To celebrate, in each of the top 10 cities local musicians have been enlisted to provide smooching couples with a romantic serenade. On arrival at their Love-Lodge, couples will also find their luxury king-sized bed strewn with pink rose petals. Romeo need only ask for the ‘Love-Lodge’ package when he books the break.
So what do women want on Valentine’s Day? Surprisingly, the survey showed that there’s one gift more popular than the traditional gestures of flowers, chocolates and perfume - in today’s fast-paced world, what women desire most is the chance to spend quality time with their man.
This makes a weekend away at a top 10 romantic Travelodge the perfect gift for the cash-strapped lover. With rooms available from just £44.95 per night, the budget Romeo can woo his woman with a wonderful Valentine’s treat, and still have money left over to spoil her with gifts, a candlelit meal or an evening concert.
Simon Gregory, sales and marketing director for Travelodge, says: “The cost of a weekend away is often perceived as very high, but in fact the UK & Ireland have some beautiful and romantic cities that can be explored whatever your budget. By booking a break at a Travelodge Love-Lodge, you’ll have everything you need to set the mood for romance, and at our fantastic low room rates, you’ll be left with plenty of cash to spoil your partner even further by taking them to a top restaurant.”
Guide to the voted for top 10 most romantic UK & Ireland destinations each offering the Love-Lodge package:
1. Bath – visit the historic Roman Spa and Pump Rooms and then take a romantic riverboat trip
2. Edinburgh – explore the stunning architecture and have a picnic by Dunsappie Loch - an extinct volcano!
3. Dublin – discover the origins of Guinness and toast your love at the top of the world famous Guinness Storehouse
4. London – Take in the breathtaking skyline on a flight in the London Eye, then take in a show at Theatreland
5. Oxford – Take a walking tour of this beautiful city – don’t miss the spellbinding university colleges
6. York – Stroll around the stunning and peaceful York Cathedral then ride around the cobbled streets in your very own horse and carriage
7. Cambridge – Gaze into each others eyes whilst punting down the river Cam
8. Brighton – Meander around the famous cobbled Lanes and then grab some traditional fish ‘n’ chips and take a stroll along the beach
9. Liverpool – Pay homage to Liverpool’s musical past by visiting the Abbey Road studios
10. Glasgow – Join Glasgow as it celebrates its links with St. Valentine in the third City of Love Festival. The Festival takes place from 6-18 Feb and will include musical events, performance and film.
The 2004 BDRC survey results have just revealed that Travelodge was the most highly used hotel company among business and leisure guests in Great Britain last year.
For further information contact the Travelodge press office at Cohn & Wolfe on
020 7331 5400
· *Respondents from the Travelodge database of 20,000 adults
· All 240 Travelodges are conveniently located in most major UK cities, on all major motorways and ‘A’ roads
· Travelodge offers the online booking service at www.travelodge.co.uk and also via telephone on 08700 850950
· No matter where you stay with Travelodge you can expect great value and consistent standards of quality and service every time
· Competitively priced, Travelodge room rates start from just £44.95 per room, per night.
· Most family rooms can sleep up to 4 people (2 adults and 2 children, both under 16 years), with the added bonus that prices are per room rather than per person. All rooms are en-suite, with luxury King Size beds and free tea and coffee making facilities.