SIR ROCCO FORTE OFFICIALLY OPENS NEW TRAVELODGE FLAGSHIP HOTEL IN COVENT GARDEN
11th Jul 2006
Today, Travelodge opens its 13th London hotel in Covent Garden. The new flagship property is the former headquarters of Trusthouse Forte Hotels - the founder of Travelodge 21 years ago.
Travelodge's Chief Executive, Grant Hearn has invited Sir Rocco Forte back to Travelodge today to formally open the £13million, 184 bedroom hotel at 166 High Holborn. The new hotel has created 50 new jobs and will share the management team of Travelodge's existing hotel across the road on Drury Lane.
Grant Hearn, Travelodge Chief Executive said: "Travelodge started the hotel revolution 21 years ago and has continued to lead the way in budget accommodation - particularly in London. In 1985 Trusthouse Forte introduced Travelodge to the UK so we are delighted to have Sir Rocco Forte back today to see how far we have come.
"We have pioneered the budget hotel sector and today we are very much in the forefront. As a low-cost operator, we are making hotels available to everyone with our low pricing model and web strategy. In 2006, we are opening more hotels than any other hotel brand in the UK, with a new property opening every nine days."
Travelodge is the UKs fastest growing budget hotel chain, with a pipeline to deliver another 14,000 rooms in the next five years. In London alone, Travelodge has 2,238 rooms and plans to reach 6,000 by the Olympics in 2012.
New openings in London include: City Road, Euston Station, Waterloo in 2007 and Heathrow Terminal Five in 2008.
Travelodge's UK load factor is growing six times faster than the competition**. Eighty percent of rooms are booked online customers are booking early to secure the best deals.
For further information, please contact:
PR Manager: 01844 35 8638
Mobile: 07802 702 499
Notes to editor:
- Figures are correct to date - 11 July 2006
- *Travelodge is opening 40 hotels in 2006, if they were opened in succession, it would be one in every nine days
- **The industry average is 65.4% for 2006 up from 64.4% last year
- London Covent Garden Travelodge offers rooms from £26. Book at
- www.travelodge.co.uk or by calling 08700 850 950.
- The Hotel is located at 166 High Holborn, London.
- There is a choice of either a double, family or disabled room, each offering a comfortable setting with ensuite bathroom, luxury king size bed, colour TV with in room entertainment including pay on demand movies, telephone, Internet services and free tea and coffee making facilities.
- The hotel has a licensed Bar Cafe offering breakfast menu, snacks throughout the day and evening meals.
- Car parking is available
- Travelodge has 278 hotels throughout the UK, located in city centres, airports and major attractions
- Over six million customers annually stay with Travelodge