PRICING REVOLUTION WITHIN THE HOTEL INDUSTRY- Travelodge drops year round price to £25 -
3rd Mar 2004
Travelodge, the UK’s leading budget hotel chain, today announces a radical shake-up to how hotel rooms are priced, with a new approach which will introduce year round rates from just £25 in all 240 Travelodges nationwide.
Travelodge are the first to introduce a revolutionary pricing structure within the hotel industry. This bold move will make hundreds of thousands of rooms available at lower prices, allowing more people the opportunity to enjoy low-cost hotel accommodation than ever before.
Rooms at any Travelodge will now be cheaper the earlier you book, with the chance to get the best prices by being flexible on your dates, the lowest rates will only be available online.
This is the complete opposite to the current approach used by the hotel industry – one which hasn’t changed for decades, if not centuries – of having highly inflated standard rates and introducing short term promotions in quiet booking periods. This method is confusing to the customer, and gives them no clues as to when they might get the best prices. The transparency of the new Travelodge approach will allow customers the certainty of getting the best rates available by planning ahead.
Available exclusively via the Travelodge website (www.travelodge.co.uk), the year-round lowest rate of £25 per night will be available at every lodge, for more than 500,000 rooms in the coming year.
Grant Hearn, chief executive of Travelodge, commented: “Our decision marks a watershed in the UK hotel industry’s attitude towards pricing and its customers. The traditional hotel approach has been to take a very fixed approach to pricing – almost a take it or leave it attitude.
“At Travelodge, the customer is king, and as a dynamic, growing brand, we have both the flexibility and vision to offer an approach to pricing that our competitors simply aren’t equipped to match.
“Like with low cost airlines, by encouraging our customers to book early and to book online, we can keep our costs low, and pass those cost savings on to our customers through low rates day in and day out, all year round. That’s how we are successful, not through the traditional hotel approach of having fewer customers and ripping them off with extortionate room rates and for items they don’t want or need.
“This is a long term strategy, as opposed to our competitors’ short term price promotions, and is why Travelodge is the only truly low-cost hotel chain in the UK.”
With internet bookings having increased by 200% in the last year alone, Travelodge.co.uk is now firmly positioned as the UK’s favourite accommodation booking website, with “Travelodge” the most frequently searched travel term online.
For more information, or to arrange an interview with Grant Hearn, please contact:
Louisa Herbert, Caroline Greenaway, Emma Thompson
Cohn & Wolfe Public Relations Consultancy
Tel: 020 7331 5400
Notes to Editors
· £25 rate can only be booked at www.travelodge.co.uk and cannot be booked by phone.
· £25 rate may not be available at every lodge, every night and not during holidays and special event periods.
· £25 rates are non-commissionable and cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount scheme.
· All bookings must be guaranteed and are non- transferable, non-refundable and cannot be amended
· Cancellation for any rooms purchased for £25 is non-refundable.
· *Equivalent price per room in Ireland is 35 Euro.
· Family rooms can sleep up to four people (two adults and two children, both under 16 years). All rooms are en-suite, with luxury King Size beds, colour TV and free tea and coffee making facilities.
· Travelodge currently has 240 locations throughout the UK and Ireland. These are conveniently located in most major city centres, as well as on major motorways and ‘A’ roads.
· Travelodge was the first UK lodge brand to launch in the UK in 1985.