FIRST LOW-COST HOTEL IN THE WEST END - Travelodge brings up the curtain at its new Covent Garden hotel -
29th Mar 2004
Today, in an industry first, the UK’s only low-cost hotel chain, Travelodge, is taking over a traditional hotel in the heart of London’s Theatreland, cutting the outrageously inflated room prices and launching with a maximum price of £60 per room. Prices will start as low as £25.
From midday, the four-star Drury Lane Moat House hotel will be stripped of the unwanted extras that Travelodge has proved cost UK hotel guests £186M*. By removing unwanted trouser presses, showercaps and sewing kits, Travelodge will give visitors to London exactly what they want from their stopover, at the lowest price.
This move will mean that low-cost accommodation is finally available to some of the capital’s 30 million annual visitors who until now have experienced extortionate prices for central locations, when all they want is a great deal and a good night’s sleep.
In line with Travelodge’s new low-cost pricing policy, rooms at the 163-room hotel start at just £25 per room, per night (sleeping up to a family of four). At busier times the maximum price will still be just £60.00 so you can book a night’s stay in the heart of London and still have money left to spend on dining out, shopping or seeing a production at one of the West End’s famous theatres. To help even further, Travelodge will be refunding guests already booked at Moat House prices the room rate difference, giving them a little extra cash to enjoy the sights of the capital.
Grant Hearn, CEO at Travelodge, said: “Acquiring the 4-star Drury Lane Moat House demonstrates Travelodge are pioneers of low-cost accommodation. We are giving the nation a great value stopover at another key London location, following the successful opening of our Kings Cross Travelodge and in line with our strategy of providing low-cost hotels in key towns and cities throughout the UK. Our low-cost structure and efficient organisation will allow us to transform the current 4-star property into a low-cost hotel, offering great value, very quickly”.
Rooms can be booked either by visiting the website www.travelodge.co.uk or calling 08700 850 950
Notes to editors:
* Research was undertaken on behalf of Travelodge by ICM, TRI Hospitality Consulting and Mediaedge CIA during August – September 2003 amongst 5,000 adults aged 18+ throughout the UK
· Kings Cross Travelodge was opened in December 2003, since launch there has been 100% occupancy
· In line with Travelodge’s new pricing strategy rooms will be available at £25.00 at quieter periods, with the maximum price of a room at the Covent Garden Travelodge being £60.00.
· Family rooms can sleep up to four people (two adults and two children, both under 16 years). All rooms are en-suite, with luxury King Size beds, colour TV and free tea and coffee making facilities.
· Travelodge currently has over 240 locations throughout the UK and Ireland. These are conveniently located in most major motorways and ‘A’ roads
· Travelodge was the first UK lodge brand to launch in the UK in 1985
· Travelodge offers an online booking service at www.travelodge.co.uk and also via telephone on 08700 850 950