TRAVELODGE OPENS FIRST LOW-COST HOTEL IN BERWICK UPON TWEED - 2 local residents live in the Travelodge mobile bedroom all week as it travels the streets of Berwick!
15th Dec 2004
Travelodge, the UK’s fastest growing hotel chain, has become the first low-cost hotel to open in the seaside town of Berwick Upon Tweed. The new Travelodge will provide a great value stopover for all types of guests, business or leisure. It has opened just in time for local residents to take advantage of room rates from just £25 for visiting family and friends over the Christmas period.
To celebrate the opening a mobile Travelodge bedroom will be touring Berwick Upon Tweed. Local residents Steven Parkin and Shirley Twynhan will be living in the mobile bedroom during the day as it tours the local area. Steven said: “We’re having great fun and attracting loads of attention from passers-by who don’t quite believe what they are seeing, it’s not everyday that a Travelodge bedroom on wheels drives past you!”
The 40-bedroom hotel is located on North Road, close to the town centre and just off the A1 with good links to both Edinburgh and Newcastle. In addition, the Travelodge is in close proximity to the beautiful Holy Island and to many of Berwick’s great beaches, making it ideally located for both holidaymakers and business travellers.
Seven local people have been recruited to help run the new hotel. David Shiels, Travelodge Berwick Upon Tweed Manager, said: “We’re very proud to be the first low-cost hotel chain to open in Berwick. We’ve got a fantastic team in place who are excited to be playing a major role in launching the first low-cost hotel in the area. We are looking forward to putting England’s most historic town back on the map and increasing the number of visitors to Berwick!”
All Travelodge bedrooms offer a comfortable setting with a king size bed, en-suite bathroom with power shower, colour TV, free tea and coffee making facilities and an in-room entertainment system that offers pay on demand movie, telephone and Internet service. A breakfast bag service is available to all guests and can be delivered to their room between 7am to 9am; otherwise it can be purchased from reception at any time throughout the day. The breakfast bag contains fresh orange juice, cereal bar, muffin, fresh fruit and a takeaway tea/coffee.
- ends -
For further information please contact
Direct Line: 0121 521 6624, Mobile: 07736 089541
Notes to Editors:
· Travelodge has currently 256 locations throughout the UK. These are conveniently located in most major UK cities, on all major motorways and ‘A’ roads.
· Travelodge offers an online booking service at www.travelodge.co.uk and also via telephone on 08700 850 950.
· Competitively priced, Travelodge room rates start from just £25.00 per room, per night. (£25 room rates are subject to availability and can only be booked online)
· Travelodge offers double and family rooms (A family rooms caters for 2 adults and 2 children under the age of 16). All rooms are en-suite, with luxury King Size beds, colour TV and free tea and coffee making facilities.
· Travelodge was the first budget brand to launch in the UK in 1985.
· In 2003 Compass Group plc, owners of Travelodge since 2000, sold the company to Permira Investment Fund Managers. Permira has ambitious plans for Travelodge and is confident that it has an exciting future as the UK’s leading hotel brand.