TRAVELODGE TO BUILD FIRST LOW-COST HOTEL AT MANCHESTER AIRPORT
15th Feb 2005
Travelodge has announced that it is to start work on its largest new-build project outside of London - a 200-bedroom hotel at Manchester Airport. It will be the first and only low-cost hotel on-site, making affordable accommodation available to the airport’s 20 million annual visitors.
The £8million Travelodge will have a 100-cover Bar Café that will serve hot and cold food as well as soft and alcoholic beverages. Parking will be available on-site and there will also be 6 meeting rooms available for guests to hire. In addition, the hotel will be situated next to the main access road into Terminal 2 – the biggest departure point for package holiday traffic.
Travelodge are working in partnership with Manchester Airport Developments (MADL) who are constructing the new hotel, which Travelodge will lease from them for 25 years. Work started on the hotel in December 2004 and it is due to open in November 2005.
Ben Roberts, development director at Travelodge, commented: “Manchester Airport has developed rapidly over the last few years and is now the UK’s 3rd largest airport, the only thing missing was a low-cost hotel. The site is in a fantastic location for Travelodge as it is just off junction 6 of the M56, which means it is close to Manchester city centre and will provide great visibility for our brand. This is a very important development for us as it’s our largest new-build outside of London. We’re aiming to open at least 2,500 new rooms in 2005 and schemes like this are just what we need to enable us to achieve this.”
Jim Bethell, managing director of MADL, commented: “Upon completion of this significant budget hotel development the hotel offer at Manchester Airport will cater for a wide range of leisure and business customer demands, and MADL look forward to a long relationship with Travelodge.”
Travelodge has over 250 hotels throughout the UK, located within major city centres and close to major attractions and airports. All Travelodge bedrooms offer a comfortable setting with a king size bed, en-suite bathroom with power shower, colour TV, free tea and coffee making facilities and an in-room entertainment system that offers pay on demand movie, telephone and Internet service.
For further information, please contact:
Direct Line: 0121 521 6624, Mobile: 07736 089 541
Notes to Editor:
· Travelodge room prices start from £26 per room, per night (from £46 in central London) The £26 rate can only be booked on-line at www.travelodge.co.uk and cannot be booked by phone.
· Travelodge offers double, family and disabled rooms. A family room caters for two adults and two children, both under 16 years. All rooms are en-suite, with luxury king size beds, colour TV and free tea and coffee making facilities.
· Travelodge currently has 257 locations throughout the UK, located within most major city centres.
· All Travelodge bedrooms are being refreshed as part of a refurbishment programme, which will be completed by the end of the year.
· No matter where you stay with Travelodge you can expect great value and consistent standards of service and quality every time.
· Travelodge was the first UK low-cost hotel brand to launch in the UK in 1985.
· Travelodge offers an on-line booking service at www.travelodge.co.uk and also via telephone on 08700 850950.