Travelodge opens its first hotel in Marlow – which is the new
look ‘budget chic’ hotel format ‘Travelodge PLUS’
Marlow Travelodge PLUS is the company’s first new build Travelodge PLUS hotel outside London
Travelodge also announces it’s looking to open the first branded budget hotel in Amersham, Chesham and Gerrards Cross
This trio expansion programme represents an investment of £30 million for third party investors and will create 70 new jobs
Today, Mayor of Marlow, Councillor Richard Scott joined Tony O’ Brien, Travelodge UK Development Director to officially open the company’s first new build Travelodge PLUS hotel outside of London in the prestigious town of Marlow.
Marlow Travelodge PLUS is the company’s 585th hotel and its eight in Buckinghamshire.
The purpose built, 83-room hotel which features an onsite restaurant called the Bar Café and a car park, is located in theGlobe Business Park. It is within walking distance from the railway station and the picturesque town centre of Marlow. Room rates start from £35 and can be booked at: https://www.travelodge.co.uk/
Marlow Travelodge Plus represents an investment of 11 million for the landlord, John Lewis Pension Fund and has created 22 new jobs within the community.
Travelodge Plus is the company’s new hotel format which has been designed around the needs of the budget traveller who wants that little bit more style and choice. Travelodge Plus hotels offer a distinctive choice of rooms as well as a new style Bar Café with touches to make it easier to work and relax outside the room.
The company currently operates 7Travelodge PLUS hotels in:London, Gatwick Airport, Brighton, York and Edinburgh. Key aspects of a Travelodge PLUS hotel include:
· Enhanced ‘budget chic’ Travelodge Plus rooms, that offer a premium ‘Tranquillity Zen’ colour scheme with tones of warm taupe, serenity beige and light white. The signature luxurious king-size Travelodge Dreamer bed, blackout curtains to create a relaxing environment for a restful night’s sleep, USB ports and bespoke pixel wall art showcasing the UK’s popular business and leisure locations including London and the Scottish Highlands.
· SuperRooms, the group’s ‘premium economy’ room option, featuring Hansgrohe Raindance showers, in-room Lavazza coffee pod machines, irons and ironing boards, larger desks and USB power points throughout.
· A new stylish Bar Café with distinctive zones designed to suit the needs of business and leisure travellers. These include counter seating with built in USB and laptop power for those working outside the room and dining benches for groups, complemented by a stylish new statement bar.
At the official opening of Marlow Travelodge PLUS, the company also announced that Buckinghamshire remains a key growth area and it is actively looking to open the first branded budget hotel in Amersham, Chesham and Gerrards Cross. Collectively this expansion programme represents an investment of £30 million for third party investors and will create around 70 new jobs.
Tony O’Brien, Travelodge UK Development Director said: “We have been trading in Buckinghamshire for 21 years and we are delighted to mark this milestone by bringing our new budget chic Travelodge PLUS hotel concept to Marlow. Our new hotel format is designed around the needs of the budget traveller who wants that little bit more style and choice whilst staying true to our mission to offer great value.
“As we look to the future, Buckinghamshire remains a key development area for us. The local economy is growing at pace with increasing visitor numbers, however there is still a shortage of good quality accommodation at a great value price. Therefore to meet this growing consumer demand we are actively looking to open the first branded budget hotels in Amersham, Chesham and Gerrards Cross. Collectively this expansion programme will represent an investment of £30 million for third party investors and will create 70 new jobs.”
Insert Quotes: tbc
Marlow Travelodge PLUS is being managed by Sophie Gray who celebrates her ten year work anniversary with Travelodge this month. Sophie is one of thousands of Travelodge staff members who successfully climbed the career ladder from an entry level position into management.
Sophie started at Travelodge in 2009 as a part time cleaner at Windsor Central Travelodge. Within two years she got promoted to Supervisor and soon after secured a place in the in-house management programme called Aspire. Within three years of entering the company in a part time job, Sophie rose through the ranks and officially stepped into a management position. Sophie gained a wealth of experience working as an Assistant Manager across Travelodge’s airport hotels in Heathrow before being given the keys to her brand new hotel.
Sophie Gray, Hotel Manager, Marlow Travelodge PLUS Hotel said: “I could not imagine a more perfect gift to celebrate my tenth Travelodge anniversary. Been given the keys for our first hotel in Marlow which is a Travelodge PLUS is definitely a double bonus and I feel very privileged to be managing this fantastic hotel. I am also very proud to have built a fantastic team who are as passionate as me about delivering great customer service. It is going to be such a joy to develop my team members to become hotel managers of the future; just like the opportunity I was given.
“Looking ahead, business on the books looks very encouraging and we are gearing up for a busy summer season, as our guests love the new Travelodge PLUS concept. This is great news for the local economy too, as research shows that our customers will spend at least double their room rate with local businesses during their stay which equates to an average annual spend of £2 million.”
For further information, please contact:
Travelodge Press Office
01844 358 703
Notes to Editors:
Marlow Travelodge PLUS
Globe Business Park, Fieldhouse Lane,
Founded in 1985, Travelodge is one of the UK’s leading hotel brands. The hotel chain currently operates over 580 Travelodge hotels in the UK, Spain and Ireland as of April 2019. Travelodge welcomes approximately 19 million customers every year and over 12,000 colleagues work across the business.
The stylish SuperRoom has everything that you would expect from Travelodge but with lots of new additional creature comforts. It has been styled in a modern residential décor scheme, creating a home from home feel. It features a new dream-light colour scheme which includes tones of calming blue, warm beige and tranquil taupe, as well as blackout curtains, creating a relaxing atmosphere for a restful night’s sleep.
The signature creature comforts in the SuperRoom include:
· Lavazza ‘A Modo Mio’ fresh capsule coffee machine to kick-start your day
· Hansgrohe Raindance 3-jet adjustable shower to leave you fully refreshed
· Multiple power and USB charging points at arm’s length throughout
· Relaxing ambient LED mood lighting
· Comfy armchair to relax in
· Larger desk area with a comfortable swivel chair
· Luxurious king-size Travelodge Dreamer™ bed
· Choice of firm and soft hypo-allergenic pillows
· Dressing stand with a powerful hairdryer
· In-room iron and ironing board
· Powerful hairdryer and full length mirror
· Samsung Slimline wall-mounted flat screen TV
· Hot chocolate and a KitKat for that extra treat when you need it
The Bar Café restaurant at Marlow Travelodge PLUS offers an extensive unlimited breakfast menu at just £8.25 and an unlimited lighter breakfast for just £5.95. For each paying adult, two children eat for free